This portal's subpageshave been checked by an editor, and are needed.
Additional notes: LATEST UPDATE: October 2021 (news, bios), February 2021 (news, DYKs), January 2021 (DYKs), December 2020 (news), November 2020 (DYKs, quotations, news, topics, geography), April 2020 (news, topics), March 2020 (news), Feb 2020 (images, DYKs, news, geography, topics), Jan 2020 (lists, settlements, images, news), December 2019 (settlements, events, news, DYKs), July 2019 (news), June 2019 (news), May 2019 (split out Selected settlements into new box & populated to >=10 items; expanded Geography box with physical map; enlarged banner; new articles, quotations & lists; updates to news, topics, recommended content), April 2019 (news, bios, events, topics; added new Geography box with map), March 2019 (recommended content), July 2018 (DYK, newest articles)
Cheshire occupies a boulder clay plain(pictured) which separates the hills of North Wales from the Peak District of Derbyshire. The county covers an area of 2,343 km2 (905 sq mi), with a high point of 559 m (1,834 ft) elevation. The estimated population is a little over one million, 19th highest in England, with a population density of around 450 people per km2.
The county was created in around 920, but the area has a long history of human occupation dating back to before the last Ice Age. Deva was a major Roman fort, and Cheshire played an important part in the Civil War. Predominantly rural, the county is historically famous for the production of Cheshire cheese, salt and silk. During the 19th century, towns in the north of the county were pioneers of the chemical industry, while Crewe became a major railway junction and engineering facility.
The hall is surrounded by parkland and formal gardens, designed by Humphry Repton and landscaped by John Webb in 1803. The grounds include the mile-long Rode Pool, Stew Pond, a grotto, an ice house, an obelisk and a modern Italian garden. Mow Cop Castle, an elaborate Gothic Revivalfolly, stands two miles from the hall. Dating from 1754, it was also designed by the Hiorne brothers. A camp meeting held there in 1807 is considered to represent the birth of the Primitive Methodist movement.
The oldest listed structure is the ruin of Clifton Hall, built in 1565. The three Grade II* listed buildings are All Saints' Church, Daresbury(pictured), dating originally from the 16th century, and two 18th-century former mansion houses, Daresbury Hall and Moore Hall. Many of the structures are related to the network of canals in the area, with several canal bridges, including a swing bridge over the Manchester Ship Canal, a former warehouse, a tunnel entrance, a milepost and two air shafts, as well as a railway viaduct crossing the Weaver Navigation. Other listed buildings include a public house, a former school and a former sessions house, as well as several farmhouses and cottages. The most recent listed structure is a K6-type telephone kiosk dating from the 1930s.
Top: Map of modern Cheshire showing urban areas (grey) and the major road network. Chester (red) is the county town, and Warrington has the greatest population. Towns with more than 10,000 inhabitants in 2011 are highlighted; the size of dot gives a rough indication of the relative population. Wales and the adjacent English counties are shown in capitals.
Brassey was responsible for building about one-third of Britain's railways and three-quarters of those in France, as well as major lines across Europe and in Canada, Australia, S. America and India. He also constructed the associated docks, bridges, viaducts, stations, tunnels and drainage works. His other works included steamships, mines, locomotive factories, marine telegraphy and water supply and sewerage systems, including part of the London sewerage system. His estate was valued at over £5 million.
The hills have been quarried since the Roman era. Peckforton appears in the Domesday survey of 1086. The area is predominantly agricultural. The earliest surviving buildings date from the early 17th century. Peckforton and the adjacent Beeston were part of an estate purchased by John Tollemache in 1840. He had Peckforton Castle – a mansion designed by Anthony Salvin in imitation of a medieval castle – built at the northern end of the Peckforton ridge. A local stone mason carved an elephant bearing a castle in red sandstone from the same quarry. Many of the local buildings were constructed for Tollemache using brick in the 1860s and 1870s.
The ayr is very wholesome, insomuch that the people of the countrey are seldom infected with Diseases or Sicknesse, neither do they use the help of the Physicians, nothing so much, as in other countries: For when any of them are sick, they make him a posset, and tye a kerchieff on his head; and if that will not amend him, then God be merciful to him! The people there live till they be very old; some are Grandfathers, their Fathers yet living; and some are Grandfathers before they be married.
From The Vale Royall of England by Daniel King (1656)